Getting used to your new aligners
Okay, you've got your aligners. Now what?
You got your clear aligners — congratulations! You’ve taken a huge step toward your dream smile. We won’t lie, though. It’s going to be a bit of an adjustment. Wearing pieces of plastic in your mouth for 22 hours a day takes some getting used to.
To help with the learning curve, here are some important things to know, plus helpful tips for getting started.
1. Start at night. Your aligners will be pretty tight when you first change into a new set. Getting started at night gives your teeth plenty of time to adjust. That way, you’ll get through the initial soreness overnight instead of throughout your day.
2. File down the edges. While our aligners are crafted with precision, the edges can still irritate your gums and tongue, since your mouth isn’t used to having plastic in it all the time. If you experience any irritation, you can use an emery board to dull the edges of your aligners for comfort.
3. Use your chewies. Because you’re moving your teeth, some soreness is completely normal, especially at the beginning of each aligner step. Using your Chewies increases the blood flow to your gums, which can ease that soreness. Additionally, you can use over-the-counter pain medications as needed. If you experience pain that lasts more than 7 days, please get in touch.
4. Lean into the lisp. It’s true, you’ll probably have a lisp at first. Don’t worry, it’ll improve over time. The best thing someone told me during treatment is that it was way more noticeable to me than it was to them. So hang in there!
5. Keep them clean. You’ll be wearing these aligners 22 hours a day for 2 weeks, so be sure you’re rinsing or soaking them in cold water often. It also helps to brush and floss any time you’re putting them back in.
And with that, you’re all set to go forth and get the smile you’ve always wanted, as comfortably as possible.
As always, Candid is here to help, so feel free to get in touch with any questions or concerns throughout treatment. Happy straightening! :)
Sign up for more straight talk on oral care from The Impression, plus inside info and special offers from Candid.