What should I do if I experience tooth sensitivity?
Take the following steps if you’re experiencing sensitivity while using whitening gel:
- Ensure you apply the whitening gel towards the lower third of the whitening tray, and wipe away any excess gel from your gums with a cotton swab.
- Try wearing your whitening trays for a shorter amount of time. An application time of 20-30 minutes will help minimize sensitivity and still provide whitening benefits. It is also okay to take a day off from whitening treatment.
- If you increase your wear time, be sure to add just 15 additional minutes per day until you’ve hit the 90 minute maximum.
Additional steps you can take:
- Mild Sensitivity - Utilize a fluoride rinse
- Moderate Sensitivity - Utilize a fluoride rinse & tooth sensitivity toothpaste
- Severe Sensitivity - Apply tooth sensitivity toothpaste to your whitening trays and wear them for 15 minutes
- Overwhelming Sensitivity - Stop use of whitening gel and consult your dentist